Monday, February 20, 2012

Smiling people

After I woke up there was a constant stream of people coming into my room. Smiling happy people. People that I had never seen before in my life. But with every person that came into the room, I could feel the love, the concern, the relief. Most of them told me ''You don't know me, but I know you''. These people cared about me, cared for me. Total strangers to me, but at the same time, so close to my heart. That was the greatest feeling, just all these wonderful people stopping by, giving me these big megawatt smiles.

People who know my husband know that he can be a bit of a chatterbox (you are honey), so I wasn't surprised that he had accumulated friends and acquaintances from our stay at the hospital. Not just doctors and nurses, but orderlies, technicians and other staff. Also there is a bond that happens between people who are stuck in the waiting rooms while their loved ones are in ICU. So I even had people come see me who had their loved ones in other ICU rooms.

Because my voice was still so raw, I couldn't really speak to anyone. I just nodded and smiled my biggest smile. I appreciated each and every visit. I was so happy to be back amongst the land of the living, and loving all the smiles they bestowed upon me. Those smiles were sweet balm for my bruised soul.

To be continued...

No comments:

Post a Comment